Wednesday 18 November 2015

From Rhizome to Writing

Hello everyone, I just thought I'd share this, you may well be further along your journey than I am as I feel as if I'm a bit behind, but maybe it could be useful anyway? 

I had been struggling to start writing my paper and in an attempt to get me out of my stress funk yesterday Adesola suggested I get everything out in front of me in the form of a rhizome (I didn't know what this was either until a couple of weeks ago, it's a growing plant that has shoots that are all connected, it creates a good image for an essay evolving.) I was a little apprehensive, as for a dancer I certainly don't consider myself amongst the most creative people and usually approach things in a far more boring and methodical way. As I got stuck into this though I really began to get a sense of how all my thoughts and ideas could be connected and fit together. I’ve attached the image (you can laugh, I know it looks like a 5 year old did it.) 



Each shoot represents an idea or theme that has emerged through my inquiry. As I continued to work on it I began to think more in depth about these ideas, add some new thoughts and realise which areas seemed most prominent. I made new links and got a sense of my journey so far in a more wholesome way.

After doing this I had a chat with a friend about this process, with a view to me picking three important ideas to focus on. I now at least have a starting point to start writing around these themes...It's something about the technique and repertoire of Graham and Graham based practitioners being a way of doing history (rhizome shoot 3) Expectations of a technique class in an educational setting (shoots 2 and 8) and links in dialogue between dance languages in technique class (shoot 9.) This will all hopeful be tied together through my phenomenological data using ethnographic methodology.

Who knows maybe some bits will change when I get going but at least I can begin....!

Thanks for reading,

Sarah

6 comments:

  1. Great post! I did not create a rhizome (I have never heard of it before), but when I had all my themes (before I started on writing up) I also made a drawing og everything. It kind of look like small suns (main theme) with lots of rays (sub-themes) and some rays connects with the other suns.... And then of course in lots of different colours;) Best of luck with your writing....

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria, thanks for reading/looking! That sounds awesome, have you still got the picture of it? Maybe you can share it here if you do! Hope all is going well with your writing too and you are enjoying it all!
      Sarah :)

      Delete
    2. I have now tried many times to add the image here, but it does not work;( sorry... and yes I think I am enjoying it, although has spent many hours just looking at incomprehensible notes and empty pages;)

      Maria;)

      Delete
  2. Great post...and image Sarah! Thanks for sharing what's working for you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing Sarah! I definitely plan to use this tool when I am ready! Brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am struggling with this piece of work so its good to hear I'm not the only one! I looked up your blog after hering you say about this on Sunday. I think tthis is what I need to do next. I also find it useful to clear my hed by ranting/offloading/brainstorming into my journal - just letting it all flow out! I usually find after a while that my thoughts become clearer and I start to find a path or connections.

    ReplyDelete